Shadelandhouse Modern Press, LLC, an independent small press, based in Lexington, Kentucky, is currently accepting submissions for Juvenile Fiction (ages 10 and up; grade level 5-6)/ Fairy Tales & Folklore / Country & Ethnic. Please submit a one-page query letter (pasted into the body of your email) that includes all of the following:
- date of query
- your full contact information: name, email address, phone number;
- working title, word-count of completed manuscript, and a statement of assurance that the manuscript has been completed (written, proof-read, and edited);
- a short description of your manuscript;
- a statement as to how your treatment of the subject matter is unique—what distinguishes it from competitive books in this genre published over the last three years;
- a statement of the knowledge, insights, or new understandings readers you believe readers will gain; and
- a brief autobiography, including specifically your background and your lifestyle and professional credentials that make you particularly well qualified to write your book.
Submission period opens March 1, 2020, and closes May 30, 2020. Do not send samples of your writing at this time.
Your query must be pasted into the body of the email. Emails should be in Sans Serif/Regular. No attachments or links. Emails with attachments or links will not be opened and will be deleted.
Direct your email to [email protected]
This invitation for submissions is for authors only, no agents please.
About Shadelandhouse Modern Press: Shadelandhouse Modern Press, LLC is a Lexington, Kentucky-based, women-owned and family-operated business committed to the advancement of established and emerging writers, excellence in publishing, and the production of high quality, entertaining, and artistic books. We publish authentic and compelling books for adults and young readers, including nonfiction, fiction, and poetry. Shadelandhouse Modern Press debuted in 2016-2017 with two award-winning legal nonfiction history and true crime books. Our first book for young readers, Under the Ocelot Sun / Bajo el sol Ocelote, will be released on July 14, 2020. We believe that adults and children should have access to authentic and relevant stories that reflect diverse backgrounds, interests, and cultures.
We are a member of the Independent Book Publishers Association, an associate member of the Society of Children’s Book Writers and Illustrators, an associate member of the American Library Association, and a sustainer member of the Academy of American Poets. Our founder/publisher has more than forty years of combined experience as an educator, lawyer, higher education administrator, and publisher. For more information about our current titles and authors, visit our website smpbooks.com and follow us on Facebook (@shadelandhouse), Instagram (@shadelandhouse_modern_press), and Twitter (@smp_books).